Students are encouraged to be in on time and in school each day. We discourage absences for any reason aside from illness. Regular school attendance facilitates continuity in the educational program. We encourage all outside appointments to be made before or after school hours.
If a student is going to be absent from school, parents/guardians are expected to call the school office at extension 2018 and leave a message before 6:30 am. The message should include the student’s full name and reason for the absence. If the school office is unaware of the absence in advance, transportation will continue to send a driver to pick-up the student. Failure to call with a valid excuse within 1 school day will lead to the absence being marked as “unexcused” on school attendance reports.
POSITIVE ATTENDANCE HABITS
OCA encourages parents/guardians to help their child to develop positive attendance habits. Some suggestions include:
- Be your student’s best role model. Ensure you are not the reason they are tardy or absent.
- Assist your student in organizing their items the night before school (i.e. clothes, homework, lunch).
- Help your student develop healthy sleeping habits. Make sure they are in bed at a reasonable time.
- Teach your student responsibility and the habit of waking up on their own in the morning by using a personal alarm clock.
- Allow adequate time in the morning for your student to get ready and eat breakfast.
Education Code Section 48205. A pupil shall be excused from school when the absence is:
- Due to his or her verified illness. Submission of a valid doctor’s note may be requested.
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer.
- For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic services rendered.
- For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of his or her immediate family, so long as the absence is not more than one day if the service is conducted in California and not more than three days if the service is conducted outside California.
- For the purpose of jury duty in the manner provided for by law (Must be approved in
- Due to the illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child of whom the pupil is the custodial parent.
- Due to an appearance in court (Court documentation required).
- Due to observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at religious retreats (Not to exceed four hours per semester and must be approved inadvance).
- Due to a need to secure proper immunization (No more than 5 days).
Other reasons will be considered that are requested in writing, in advance, and subject to the approval by the school principal.
Education Code Section 48260 — Any pupil subject to full-time education who is absent from school without a valid excuse three full days in one school year, or tardy or absent for more than a 30-minute period during the school day without a valid excuse on three occasions in one school year, or any combination thereof, shall be classified as a truant.
EXCESSIVE EXCUSED ABSENCES
- If your child is absent due to a chronic illness or other unavoidable circumstances, please contact your child’s school teacher or therapist. A valid note from a doctor may be requested. Absences or excessive tardiness for any reason affect your child’s education and reduce opportunities for success in school. Tardiness also interrupts instruction and interferes with the learning environment for all pupils. If your child’s attendance does not improve, OCA will need to schedule a conference and/or IEP meeting to discuss the circumstances. Our goal is to assist you in the education of your child. We can be successful if your child is in school every day and on time.